Monday, January 09, 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire!

Yay! the new questionnaire is here - that means the new round of gifting will start soon!

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Yes, I am a yarn snob... I hate the way most man-made and lower quality yarns pill so quickly - sometimes even before you get the item off the needles!

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Several years ago I made a needle holder out of some scrap fabric... Its a big piece of fabric with row of tall skinny pockets for the needles, and then a shorter row of pockets in the front for my circulars, dpns, and a few cards of embroidery floss. a big piece of fabric folds over the top of the needles, and then you roll the whole thing up and tie it with the attached strings... Remind me, and I'll post a pic of it when I get back to england...

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 5 years now... Due to lack of creativity, I think I'm technically only an intermediate knitter, but I'm not afraid to dive into very complicated projects, provided the instructions are clear enough... (and hey, there's always the internet if I get stuck, right?)


5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, sorry... but maybe I'll start one this year...


6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Vanilla or beeswax.


7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have a very big sweet tooth, but I am striving hard to contain it... but chocolate is always a good thing! :)


8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Not many, really. Knitting kind of sucks up all my free time (and money!)

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all kinds of music... my recently acquired music includes everything from the Pink Martinis to U2 to a 3 CD jazz/blues compiliation. My compter can play all kinds of digital music formats.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I like all shades of blue, as well as light purples, greens, bright pinks, and buttery yellows. The only colour I really don't like is red, mostly because my skin is too pale to allow me to wear it. Same goes for oranges, except for the darker, rustier shades

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live in a dorm, across the ocean from my boyfriend. No pets either, unless I can figure out where to buy Sea Monkeys in Newcastle...

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, yes, yes, and no. I have this thing against ponchos....


13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I can't think of any favourites off hand... As long as they're natural fibres, I'm not too picky.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Acrylic and fun fur, although I guess these aren't really 'fibres' in the true sense of the word.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I still want to start knitting socks, but I can't seem to get around to it. But this year I am determined! :)

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like making gifts for other people... so usually they're smaller items, and somewhat intricate looking, even if they're not actually all that difficult.

17. What are you knitting right now?
fingerless gloves, normal gloves, and soon I'll be knitting the Jemima sweater (I'm going to buy the yarn as soon as I finish the gloves)

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes


19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
depends on what i'm knitting... I use straight needles as much as possible, but i'm comfortable with circulars too...


20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo or aluminum... I tend to break plastic needles, and even my wooden and metal needles have distinctive bends in them (especially the smaller ones)

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No.


22. How did you learn to knit?
My cousin taught me.


23. How old is your oldest UFO?
2 1/2 years... its an afghan that currently looks like a sideways-knit scarf.


24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I like the sanrio characters (hello kitty, keropi, etc.). My favourite animal is a cat.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really... I move around so much that I am trying to start eliminating excess stuff...

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Just one - Interweave knits

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I think its about time I got a book on designing your own patterns... I've looked (online) at Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns but I still haven't got round to buying it. Same goes for several of those knitting stitch compendium books...

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Umm... I think I need more practice knitting in the round, and doing intarsia... I always end up trying to carry the yards across the back of the work.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
not yet, but I'd like to be... except first I guess I should figure out how to measure my foot.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
June 11th

No comments: