Thursday, May 11, 2006

I blame sunstroke...

Wow... today is just one of those odd days when everything seems to be happening at once, and I only seem to be catching about half of it... first of all, i finally figured out what this Pandora thing is that i've been hearing so much about... where have I been the last however many months that this thing has been in operation?!! (just so i'm not looking like a total freak, I had actually heard about the Music Genome Project, just can't remember where).

anyway, having come to terms with my 'out of touch with the world'-ness, i was merrily sitting in the park by the civic centre - where I even managed to get a sunburn, thank you very much! it was coming on 5, and there were all kinds of Newcastle United jersey-clad people walking by... and earlier i had seen the fence by the metro station decked out in black & white stripes too... it must be a game, thought little Canadaian me... oh, and didn't I hear something about that Alan Shearer guy retiring? maybe its something for him? (Any locals reading this, please don't kill me for my ignorance of all things football - we call it 'soccer' where I'm from!!) anyway, I continued in my ignorance till i got back and looked on the internet to see what could be going on... and so i figured out that it must be Mr. Shearer's last game... but it took me until i was sitting at the Trent house pub (which is about 2 blocks from the stadium), watching the closing ceremonies on their TV, and seeing the fireworks in the stadium to realize that his was the Alan Shearer, and that this was his last game ever... i really am just far too clueless sometimes... they even put stripes up on the side of the civic center tower:
Now there's spirit for you! I'd like to see Ottawa try to put a Senator's logo on the Parliament buildings... maybe that would help keep them in the playoffs a little longer!

after the crowd in the Trent got to be a little much, we decided to go home... which is when i saw my friend Tiffany on Google chat! Yay! Tiff and I used to be roomies in undergrad, and we've kept in touch ever since... Tiff was the one who inspired me to knit, by the way... anyway, Tiff lives in Toronto now, and two weekends after I get home she and her husband are going to come up and visit me in Ottawa! yay!! I haven't seen Tiff since my going away party last fall!

There was also some other stuff that i meant to blog about... but now its really late, and i don't remember what it all was... oh well, maybe i'll remember tomorrow...

for now, do what i was doing earlier today, and stare into the magic snow-globe from Roma.... oh, sweet Roma! (yes, that's right, a snow-globe from a mediterranean country! it was really cold the week that i was there - the snow-globe seemed appropriate!)

hmm... i need to get video on here, so you can see the snowflakes swirling around!

1 comment:

PURLPOWER said...

They put stripes on Earl Grey's monument and the Angel of the North too! I have never lived anywhere where football is the nearest thing we have to faith. It's quite remarkable.

By the way, remember a few weeks back we were moaning about all tablets in Britain coming in blister packs instead of bottles? Well apparently it all started as a way of reducing suicides (read in a paper last week) and they reckon it has worked too. Still not sure why this would be a British only thing though.....