This weekend was a long weekend here in Canada, so we (of course!) spent it with family at Mike's uncle's cottage... so much family in fact that Mike and I had to sleep in a tent in the yard! :)
Now that the weekend is over, today is quite fittingly grey and cold-looking (even though its actually 28 degrees), so I don't have to feel bad about staying inside all day working and nursing my very itchy mosquito bitten feet. To distract me from scratching at them (which only makes the bites worse), I'll fill out this SP 11 questionnaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I used to be a huge yarn snob, using only natural fibres, but I think I'm beginning to relent on that - man-made fibres don't have to be cheap and scratchy anymore! :) But still, if its says 100% acrylic, I won't go near it.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
my straights are in a fabric roll that I made a few years back, and my circulars are stored in my stash box.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit about 6 years ago - my cousin taught me the basics, then I taught myself the rest by way of instruction books and the internet. I'd say I'm an intermediate knitter, mostly because I don't do a lot of pattern design and/or reconstruction. But I'll knit anything, regardless of the difficulty rating.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
yes, its here, but I don't update it very often
5. What's your favourite scent?
vanilla, light flower scents, beeswax if its for candles.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
yes, but I'm really going to try and cut back on junk food this year... Its amazing how much crap I eat when I'm in England!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't spin, but I do sew a little, and bake, and make cards when I'm in Ottawa (I don't bring my papercraft supplies to England).
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all kinds of music, except for rap and country. My computer (and my mobile) can play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I don't like bright reds, or harsh oranges, yellows, or limey greens. I like most other colours.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
This year, I live in England (or will be, as of the end of August), in a flat with a few friends. My fiancé lives in Canada, and I spend as many holidays as possible with him. I don't have any pets.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
yes, yes, yes, no. Does anyone wear ponchos anymore?
12. What is/are your favourite item/s to knit?
I knit a lot of baby things for my friends' kiddies, as well as gifts for my more adult friends & family. I should be knitting more things for myself, but now that fall is coming, I think these will take a back-seat to gift knitting.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Tulip, from Rowan mag 41 (for me), Anna Bell's Cherry (also for me), and I will soon have to cast on a stripey jumper for a friend of mine who's baby is due this fall.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
depends on the project... I don't really like plastic needles, although I do own a few pairs.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
yes, both of them
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
4 years or so... its a lap blanket that lives in my Ottawa Stash box, so it doesn't get worked on much. I should take it to Newcastle with me, but it will take up too much precious suitcase space!
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween. Hmm... maybe I'll have a halloween party in Newcastle this year to share the fun with my English friends! :)
19. Is there anything that you collect?
just yarn and knitting related things.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I haven't any subscriptions. There are a few books I'd like to pick up, but nothing really pressing... check my Amazon list for ideas maybe.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
pattern design, so I actually have a hope of selling my knitting one day.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I try very hard to be a sock knitter, but I just can't get into it properly - the last pair of socks I knit took 4 months to complete, and they spent most of that time in the naughty corner. I wear I size 9 us (5.5-6 UK), and my foot is 25cm long, and 22 in circumference.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Yes! my id is Glenda