Thursday, March 24, 2011

Block(ing) Party

For the last couple of months, Darcy and I have been knitting Jared Flood's Guernsey Wrap, as part of a Ravelry Knit-along.  We finished them this past week, so of course it was time to block them out.  Blocking is never a great one-person job, so we decided to make a deal: the use 46 square feet of my real estate and (very few) blocking mats in exchange for Darcy's extra mats, blocking wires, t-pins, and lessons on how to block 'properly' (there is no one way to do this...).  Overall, I think I got the better end of the deal, especially since I'm pretty much incapable of crawling around on the floor just now!!
Aren't they pretty all blocked out on the floor like that?  :)  My GW is the green one in the front here.- knit with 2 strands of Rowanspun 4-ply that I bought ages ago for about £1 a (25g) skein.  I have 13 skeins of it, and this used up just over 7 skeins - I'll have to be creative to find a use for the rest of it!  Using the 4-ply made this a mini-GW - after blocking, its about 69" x 16.5" (175 x 44cm).
This blue one is Darcy's GW - she knit it in Cascade 220, so its much closer to the intended size of the wrap - that's why it got its own stretch of blocking mats off in the corner (this one is 84" x 19")  The yarn blocks out so well, and the texture of the fabric is just amazing!   The little purple guy is Darcy's creation as well - but you'll have to watch her blog if you want more info about him!  :)

No comments: