Friday, September 30, 2011

I have a sweater in my freezer...

About two months ago I found out that after a year and a bit of not reading Ancient Greek everyday, my eyes had improved and my prescription actually needed to be made weaker.  After today, I'm starting to think about pulling out those old glasses!

A woman came into the yarn store the other day with a sweater that had been attacked by moths.  Those little beasties are really evil - they know to go right for the most difficult parts to fix - collars, hems, and in this case, the cables.  And why is it always the dark coloured sweaters that they eat? At least on a white sweater you can easily see all the threads they've eaten through!

Here's one of the larger holes from today's repair

About 10 minutes later, it looked like this:

Fixing this one was like a bad medical drama -"We saved the patient, but I'm afraid the cable just couldn't be preserved!"  :)   Fortunately, the sweater's owner just wanted to be able to wear it again, and wasn't too concerned about making it exactly perfect.  We'll find out how she really feels when I give it back to her later this week! :)

Now that the holes are repaired, I've returned the sweater to the freezer - where it has been for most of this last week.  I'm pretty sure the sweater was washed before I got it, but the last thing I was going to do is accidentally bring some moth larvae into contact with my stash!

No comments: