Monday, May 14, 2012

Things I learned this weekend:

1) On warm sunny days (mid-20s by the water!) Vancouver really does empty out on to the beaches.

2) SPF 30 sunblock is not sufficient for my pasty-white, Vancouverite-of-Irish-descent skin.  After a four hour walk in the sun my skin didn't really burn , but it did turn a very unsettling pink colour that faded by morning.  SPF 55 is my new best friend.

3) Something about Vancouver makes it seem bigger than it really is.  It took us only about 30 minutes to walk the two miles to a downtown movie theatre, yet I was convinced it was going to take longer - and be much farther away than it was.  In New York, I walked two miles (usually in very high heels!) just to run my regular after-work errands.

4) Arriving half an hour early to see The Avengers in 3D is not early enough to get a good seat.

5) If you can't get a good seat in the theatre, sitting close to the centre of the theatre is much more important to 3D than how close to the screen you are.

6) Robert Downey Jr. - particularly when dressed as Tony Stark - reminds me very much of my brother.  I need to find a way to make my brother as smart (and as rich!) as Tony Stark.

7) BBQ on the beach makes for a great evening meal, even if it does get a little sandy.

8) There are going to be an awful lot of very sunburned people in the city today.  I'm not sure if the cancer-fighting qualities of all that vitamin D the city absorbed this weekend aren't entirely cancelled out by the skin-cancer producing qualities of all the sunburns I saw!

No comments: