Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire (already?!)

Wow, the SP8 hostesses are eager little beavers this round - 2 weeks till the start date, and they already have the questionnaire ready to go! craziness! (don't get me wrong, im looking forward to it too, but seeing as i go home 3 days after it starts, i have that date in my mind as the end point for a ton of work that i need to have finished... so i kind of don't want it to come too quickly!)

Anyway, here goes:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I prefer natural fibres - i'm a yarn snob, what can i say? :)

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
i have a really bizzare looking hand-made fabric needle case thingie.. but its getting full, and i need to find some new way of keeping track of all my circulars...

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
4 years... I think i'm an intermediate level knitter, but that won't stop me from trying more difficult patterns. Nothing like a really compliated pattern to improve your knitting!

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
yes, its here... but please ignore the very expensive things that make me look very greedy... my list doubles as a 'when i am very rich i will get this' list.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
beeswax for candles, something fruity for bath stuff.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have many sweet teeth... my favorite candy? um anything, really... im not picky...

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Sometimes (when i can borrow someone's machine) i pretend that i can sew, and I make random things like laptop cases and needle holders... but that's really about it. And I am purposely trying not to get interested in spinning, because i really don't have the space to collect spinning things as well as all my yarn

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like almost all music, except for rap and punk, and the really obnoxiously loud stuff. my computer is very much overloaded with mp3s, but im always happy to increase my collection! :)

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I like blues and purpley-blues, and pinky sort of colours. I also love the new pale lemony and buttery yellows that are showing up this year. red is the one colour i try to avoid, cause it makes me look very pink!

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
by the time sp8 starts, I will be back living with my boyfriend - yay! we have no pets cause we're too irresponsible! :)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
yes, yes, yes, no.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
im on a kid's stuff kick these days, cause so many of my friends are reproducing. Im on the lookout for some good one-skein items though, other than the usual scarves.

13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm seaming up a jumper, working on a baby blanket, and planning to start some new baby stuff when i get back to Canada (cause Mission Fall 1824 cotton is back!). I also have a learn-to-knit socks kit waiting to be started, and a one-skein wonder that I've ripped, and need to re-knit.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
yes

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
straight - i hate those stupid ladders that result from circulars... and aluminum or bamboo is my preference, cause i tend to break plastic needles

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
no... please don't tempt me!

17. How did you learn to knit?
My cousin taught me, with some help from my mom. then my aunt gave me a few pointers... an then i just picked up patterns that looked interesting and a knitting reference book, and went for it

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
going on 3 years, I think... its an afghan, and its buried in my stash box back in Ottawa.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween - i love dressing up!

20. Is there anything that you collect?
again, don't tempt me. I have to live a very mobile life for another 2+ years - I need to reduce my collections, not increase them! Except for knitting stuff - that doesn't count! :)

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have an interweave knits subscription, but I think im going to let it lapse. As for books, i think i need a decent reference book like this one from Vogue, and I've been eyeing Ann Bud's Handy Book of Kniting Patterns and this one about Finishing Techniques (see next question)

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I need to learn how to finish sweaters properly... Im fine with the seaming - its those irritating ends from where new skeins join, or colours begin/end. I have the basics, but I want to be able to make it look really good.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
i haven't knit socks in years, and those were really chunky slipper type socks that weren't too difficult. I wear a size 9, and i have really skinny feet. is that enough? (i really don't know how to measure my foot properly)

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
June 11th

No comments: