Wednesday, December 20, 2006

a little bit of knitting

look - I made a sock! (and I'm about to go make the other one just as soon as i finish this post - no second sock syndrome here!) These are Gerard's socks - I was making them as his Christmas gift this year. When he passed away, Mike asked me to finish the socks anyway, so that we can give them to his Mom to hold on to.

The socks are made from Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport, in the Pioneer colourway - very manly, I think. The pattern is the Tech Guy sock from MagKnits, using k3 p1 ribbing all around. On the whole this is a good pattern, although I wasn't fond of the toe - the sock is worked top-down, and then the heel is formed using backward yarn-over short-rows; you then use the same technique to make the toe, and finish the sock by kitchener-stitching the second heel to the stitches at the top of the foot. Granted, its been ages since I knit a pair of socks, and that was with very bulky yarn, but I seem to recall a different method to form the toe... something about decreasing stitches at both sides of the foot and then grafting the top and bottom together. This one works fine, but I think it looks a touch odd. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit with other patterns to see which one I like best.

for other knitting projects, you will have to tune in next week, after they have all been unwrapped!

but for now, I have a sock to knit!

No comments: