Thursday, March 10, 2011

Presto-Change-o!

This guy was on my swatch blog a few days ago, but I thought I'd put him over here too...  My friend Darcy recently loaned me Knitting Block by Block, by Nicky Epstein.  The premise of the book is just 150 different blocks (made of lace, colourwork, cables, i-cord designs, and more), along with a number of ideas on how you can construct garments, bags, and other items by simply sewing a number of blocks together.  Its a great resource for my swatches as well, although some of the blocks seem a little more like finished products rather than samples of a particular stitch pattern.  Anyway, this is one of the cuter, but more involved uses for a block.

Start with one 10" square of stockinette:

Fold it, sew some edges, add a few bits and pieces, and voilà:
A little lion!

I think this square-to-critter is most often done with a rabbit, but this book mixes it up a little and shows you how to make a cat, a lion, and a turtle.  I think the rabbit would probably be most effective though, because from a certain angle, even this guy looks a bit like a rat in a fancy costume! (don't tell him I said that!)   :)

Now I just have to find the guy a home (and a name, actually)...  anyone know of a good safari park?

ETA: I forgot to mention that at the end of the month I will be knitting a little lamb (pattern yet to be determined), and I fully expect the weather to be cooperating with this scheme!  That means you Mister Weather Gods!  I've had quite enough of these wind, rain, and thunderstorm warnings, thank you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your lion on ravelry and had to jump over to your blog. I made a square rabbit a while ago - SO much fun for a beginner knitter to make a THING rather than another washcloth or scarf. Now I have to track down the book to find out make the lions mane.