Monday, August 14, 2006

Go West

I once read somewhere that you can avoid getting jet lag by wearing sunglasses on airplanes - I think it has something to do with making your body think its night, when its actually day...

all I know is that I hate flying west in the evenings - which is exactly what I did on Saturday, as I flew out here to Vancouver to visit my parents for a week before going to my brother's wedding this Saturday. The flight was uneventful, save for the turbulance that lasted from Thunder Bay to Alberta, but after about 2 hours, I was craving a little darkness - or at least the little travel pack that I got from Air France last Xmas, which contained several key in-flight items - earplugs to drown out the noise of the screaming, very big-lunged toddler 2 rows ahead, and a sleeping mask so that my brain could actually be tricked into letting me sleep for an hour or so, to kill the time that the crappy movie was supposed to have absorbed! (due to said toddler-themed movie, even the headphones I had were rendered useless).

As I was sitting in the airport waiting for this 1-hour delayed flight to begin, some guy sat down behind me, and started bitching to his wife that the security guys had taken away his lighter... yes, you heard me, his explosive-fuel filled, flame-making, we're in the middle of a security scare, you can't even smoke in the airport or on the plane so why do you even need it, cigarette lighter. exchanging shocked looks with the eaves-dropping person next to me just wasn't enough to express our horror at this guy's stupidity!

Anyway, now that I'm safely landed and one day into my visit, I have only to deal with the time change issues - its a 3 hour difference between here and Ottawa, so despite my best efforts at staying up late and sleeping in, I'm still wide awake by 6:30 in the morning.... but don't worry, I am doing my best to make use of the time, by reading my new knitting magazines (Interweave Knits, and Vogue Knitting International) and, of course, posting here!

Today I am going to try and head over to UrbanYarns, and see if I can't scoop up some of their Jo Sharp Summer Soho, which is on sale for a mere $3.98 a skein! And yes, they do ship internationally! I will let you know of any fun findings soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Urban Yarns is nice, though a little small, but I have found it to be rather pricey. Good thing you know what you are looking for is on sale.
It's amazing how stupid people can be-i.e., lighter guy. But I will miss being able to have moisturizer on the plane with me and water (they never give you enough).